Friday, January 27, 2006

weird thoughts

I was thinking about this the other night and it really makes sense the more I think about it. Knitters are really excited about the Knitting Olympics because it's a giant Jihad. Now, don't freak out. Jihad actually means "to exert utmost effort, to strive, struggle". Those militant jerks in the Middle East have no idea what it's about. The Prophet believed deeply that people could better themselves by challenging themselves internally. The word can, and does, have religious connotations. But, I think Muhammed wouldn't begrudge me the concept of necessary personal struggle.

Humans need to be challenged, and I think on a subconcious level they crave it. I think that's why so many people have joined this "movement." The minute I read the Harlot's first post on the Olympics, I said "I must do this! I can make that sweater mum wants!". Which is something I've been afraid to cast on for 2 years - lest I ruin it and the yarn my mum bought.

I just wanted to post this, because it made so much sense to me. And, I thought it'd be cool to pass it along.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: