Friday, November 17, 2006

The Great Apron Hunt of 2006 (and ducky contest)

“If vanity does not overthrow all our virtues, at least she makes them totter”
François de la Rochefoucauld (1613-1680)
Is it a virtue to admit to a vice?

I have to admit, I'm dreadfully vain. It comes of my father's family's obsession with physical attributes, I think. But, I think it is much better to love oneself than suffer anorexia. Such as poor Caroline Reston. Oy.

Anyway. I finished the right sleeve, and redid the hem, of the SKB today. All I have left is the neck purl ridges and turn-under:


I obviously took this pic in the main bathroom - hence the icky mirror. I couldn't get any photos to come out with my bedroom mirror. I quite like it (the SKB, not the mirror) and hopefully will finish it before the photo shoot on Sunday. ("photo shoot" - how pretentious does that sound?)

But, it would be cool to wear a handknit sweater for this ... uh, plot we've got. Currently, we are accepting prop suggestions. Or ideas of what I should knit for the shoot... 'Nother "oy" here.

In other news:

Minivan Dies
Owners Curse American Automotive Industry
Bloody Dodge. At 101,000 mi it's officially dead. My parents are livid. Mostly because our back-home-neighbors (who we love and still visit) have a Toyota minivan with over 250,000 mi on it, w/o any problems. Ha. Ha. Ha. I warned them. No one listens to me. (I know I shouldn't revel in this, but I do)

and

The Hunt is On
Apron Shortage Rife in Pacific Northwest
Mum and I went to, lemme count... SIX stores today trying to find a couple of blasted kitchen aprons (because neither of use wanted to sew). Finally, we gave in and went to Wal-Mart. Wherein, actually, I only found aprons because I literally tore through the kitchen section (the aprons were hidden under the towels). Is this some sort of conspiracy? Is there a worldwide shortage of cotton duck I should be alerted to?

Also, in our Cinema Review section:
"Over the Hedge" Bores Family to Tears
and
"The Libertine" Bores and Bemuses Women to Frustration

Hence, I do not recommend either.

And, you know what?, I want to hold a bloody contest (this is the level of my boredom and unemployment). I want some cute ducky photos. Or funny ones. Or wacky. Your choice, your interpretation. You can take a photo of you knitting stash with a rubber duck for all I care. Whomever comes up with the coolest photo will get a skein of handspun yarn made by moi and some knitting needles to knit it. (You even get to specify the colours I dye it and what gauge yarn you want. Please don't enter if you're allergic to baby alpaca...) And, I think I might have two runners up who'll get... hrm, how about some bamboo needles? Or really cool vintage ones? (with some yarn, maybe... I'll figure something out.)

Umm. Deadline. My birthday ;D December 1st. Please email all entries to: fyberduck AT gmail DOT com.

I think that's it for tonight. I need to check my email (guilt).

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: