Sunday, October 08, 2006

oh, alright

“I claim that in losing the spinning wheel we lost our left lung. We are, therefore, suffering from galloping consumption. The restoration of the wheel arrests the progress of the fell disease.” Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

I have no idea what temperature it was today in Yoncalla, the small Pioneer town we demonstrated spinning in, but for the first time ever I was actually grateful for the concept of petticoats, and layers and layers of "modesty" clothing in general. It got a bit nippy, to say the least. But, all in all, the demo went well - we were certainly appreciated by all who walked by; with several exclamations along the lines of: "Wow, that's awesome!" "Great job!" etc, etc.

At least people didn't think we were freaks, which can sometimes happen when demo'ing in front of college students. I took quite a few pictures, some of which were saved here. As a teaser, I give you "the spindle" and the crew:


At the festival there was fresh pressed cider (yummy), a couple of craft booths, and some Civil War reinactors among other booths. We also went on a small tour of the farmhouse, which was built in the 1840's-1850's. Pictures of all this are on Flickr (check link).

Anyway, by the end of the day we were all exhausted and wearily made our way home. I fell into bed at 6 pm and woke up at 11. In my defense, we didn't get much sleep last night (you are so lucky I didn't KILL YOU PHONE Emmos) and I haven't been sleeping well for a while. So, a nice, long, nap was wonderful.

In a very short Knitting News brief - I am nearly to the heels on the damask socks, the back of D's gansey is to the armholes, and I can't remember what else. I'm tired. Ohwell, I'll remember it later.

Good night and good luck.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: