Wednesday, July 18, 2007

ah

My parents took my deferment worse than I did, when I called them this morning. Mum was almost in tears and Dad sounded like the dog had died. They were surprised at 'how well' I was taking this. Well, it helps that I found this on the Peace Corps medical clearance FAQs:
If you have any of the following conditions, your entry into Peace Corps will be deferred until the condition is resolved:
  • Kidney or Bladder Infections
Great. Now I have to bother my Urologist again. But, I'm going to call them (bloody Federal holiday today). I swear. If only because I was raised in the South. "If you can't break their hearts, give 'em ulcers."

Anyway. I spent the day being a little self-indulgent. I dragged my brother and the mutt on a 3 mi hike to The Knittn' Kitten and got a fat quarter, 3 12" zippers, and 3 pieces of craft felt - all for $2.65. Gotta love craft thrift stores.

When we got home, I put my new fabric to work and tried my hand (again) at this tutorial. I think I'm close to getting the pattern down. I have 1 bag I can bear to look at (well, if I ignore the handle) without wincing (too much):


And another bag that taught me why I should follow the pattern's specifications:


Learn from my mistake - use a 12" zipper, not 9" zipper I just happened to have lying around. Also, use a zipper and not snap-tape (which was really last night's lesson, but it bears repeating).

I think I'm going to force Opus to take the bags away from me - she can burn them for all I care - but maybe she (or her Mum) can use them for their knitting WIPs. I just can help but frown at the fact that I put the wrist band on backwards on one and askew on the other. *sigh*

Other than that I have: made dinner, done 2 loads of laundry, dyed the lining of for the mock-up robes, knit 10 rows on the MS3, and knit 2" on the Slighty Twisted sock. Sooo... all in all, I'm not doing too bad. I just wish I hadn't eaten those Oreo's earlier.

Tomorrow I get to line the robes. And call the Peace Corps.

And walk off those Oreo's.

Labels: ,


Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: