Friday, December 29, 2006

Resolve

"The time has come," the Walrus Fibre Duck said,
"To talk of many things:
Of wool--and silk--and reeling-flax--
Of cashmere--and rovings--
And whether the dyepot is boiling hot--
And why silk-moths have wings."
Okay, my inability to rhyme notwithstanding, it has become apparent to me that my stash is freaking huge. Monstrously so. In fact, I have suspicions of it breeding whilst I'm asleep. This must be contained. It's spreading.

Of course, this decision (which I arrived at around 3:00pm today, as I swore myself into the 4th ring of Hell, while looking for my soy silk top) is made all the more interesting by this:
Guidelines for fyberduck:

1. The Knit-[AND Spin-]From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through July 31, 2007 -- a period of six months.

2. I shall not buy any yarn [or spinning fiber] during that period, with the following exceptions:
  • If someone asks for a specific knitted [or handspun] gift that I really and truly do not have the yarn for, I may buy yarn [or fiber] to make that gift.
  • If I am knitting something and run out of yarn, I may purchase enough to complete the project.
  • I get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- I am allowed to fall off the wagon one time.
  • Yarn purchased out of state while traveling does not count. (I'm visiting my sister in Feb... down in San Jose, where Stitches West is being hosted. I admit now that my will is not THAT strong.)
  • The Black Sheep Gathering doesn't count, okay?? No arguments.
3. I am allowed to receive gifts of yarn [or fiber].
Which I read on Tamara's blog. I like this idea. This idea has potential. This idea is entirely manageable for me, since I have more knitting/ spinning supplies than some knitting stores. So, I am bound and determined to follow this through (Emmos will, of course, suggest a yarn hunt trip in about a day...). Actually, maybe I should go to the yarn store now and get the urge to buy yarn out of my system.

Or maybe not. I honestly don't know where I'd put it. While I find the Harlot's stash-storage methods amusing, I would really prefer not to resort to any of them.

Anyway. In Random Sewing News: I've finished Crimson's holiday gift(s)!! It didn't come out quite as I'd have liked, it's still functional and passable in polite company. I just have to dye her Wacky Ducky prize yarn, and it'll be out the door. I need to find my dyes now...

Eerrr. They're hiding in the stash. This might take a biiiit longer than expected.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: