Friday, September 22, 2006

Shana Tova

The traditional greeting on Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year. I had planned to write out a detailed and meaningful post, but I just found out that an LJ friend's brother commit suicide today. I'm kind of in shock and just sitting here quietly. Admittedly, I don't know this person in RL, but I grieve for the family.

...

On Rosh Hashanah, it's traditional for Jews to eat apples and honey, to celebrate a sweet new year. I recommend this. Schools in Israel have even taken the practice so far as to spell children's names on their desks in honey to teach them that learning is sweet. It's a good practice. We did it in Hebrew School.

We're supposed to repent for the sins of the last year before Yom Kippur, 10 days from now. Otherwise, we run the risk of not being written in the Book of Life. This is a myth that has never sat pleasantly with me. I never liked the idea of a vindictive G-d. Seems so pagan. But, in the end, it doesn't matter. I don't make those decisions.

This seems quite petty and stupid right now, but I bought a new pair of Dansko's today. The first new pair I've had in 7 years. Mum got me two pairs of their boot-clogs and I still wear them now. Well, one of the pairs. I stretched the other out enough that my Mum wears them now. So... yeah. Seemed like a big deal at the time. I've been wanting a pair of open clogs to show off all my handknit and funky sox. In the end, I actually got the green and brown pair I'd been eyeing instead of neutrals, since they were the only ones in my size. What luck.

Funny. I just checked the Dansko website, and the shoes I bought are up on the homepage - they're the Hunter Suede Madrigals. Wow, I'm so trendy, even unintentionally.

Anyway. I'm going to go and knit. We got Mum and Emm a b-day cake from the Sweet Life to split. Need to go eat that.

We leave for Oregon Flock and Fiber in, t-minus 9 hours. I'm never going to get enough sleep.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: