Friday, May 26, 2006

zipper fiat

This is my absolutely favorite tree on campus:


I couldn't get a good pic when I tried earlier - because it started to pour buckets, of course. I've been meaning to post a pic of this'un for weeks, since it looks so darn cool with all the baby ferns growing from it's bark and the Spanish moss and all. Doesn't it look like it should have a ring of mushrooms around it? Maybe a resident Driaad?

Anyway.

Today, I achieved "perfection" (hey, S said it, not me), on my fly-front zipper sample:


Isn't it boo-ti-full? Especially since you can't see the periwinkle zipper I used on it? Here's the back, proving that I have some gift at this stuff ;)


It's taken me 8 weeks, but my sewing skills are slowly improving. No, perfection is not enough, for those of you who I know will ask. At least I no longer fear what I shall do to my black velvet, for my grad robes.

Thank you, guys!, for your support. I think my parents think I'm insane. But, I take that as a compliment, at this point.

In other news, I am about ready to cast on the sleeves for a baby sweater I started on Wed(?) as a stress-reducer. No, it is not the Dale of Norway fair-isle sweater of doom. It's a little cotton boucle thing that I'm making using an adapted pattern from Knitting for Two. I'll post a pic of it later.

Also, since we're a bit worried (in the studios) that 6 yards of velvet may just be NOT enough fabric for the robes, I've suggested contrasting sleeves and side gores. When I mentioned that my mom has been hoarding this beautiful gorgeous suplendiforous PERFECT jacquard fabric for, oh, 5 years and described it - D and V said "Oh! Make a DRESS! A period dress to go under the robe!"

You know, I had thought of that. And, if they came up with the same idea - without my mentioning it - it has to be a good idea, right? And, then it would match the sleeves and side gores of the robe. C'est parfait. Just imagine the Renn Faire possibilities.

I should post a pic of this fabric this weekend. It looks like it came straight out of a Medici family portrait. Dark violent, brown, and bronze interlocking ribbons. Just... drool. Maybe if I beg, Mom will let me have it - or not scream too much when I steal it. Cuz, I want it. Admittedly, I have coveted it for... 5 years? And, since she hasn't used it and I have an active plan for it...

And, damn, if I wouldn't look cooler than hell walking across the commencement stage in it. Esp. since my group is graduating with the Humanities and Medieval Studies majors (snickers). How perfect would that be?

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: