Saturday, March 31, 2007

An ode to silk

Well, not really. I promised good blog content (well, content sans weeds) tonight, and poetry would be breaking that promise, wouldn't it? So, I think I'll just leave it with this:
“With time and patience the mulberry leaf becomes a silk gown.”
Chinese Proverb
Let's see. Today's activities included: slogging ahead on Mum's lace border (1/2 done!!), laundry, the left Spock (I'm stuck on the button band, both on the spock AND the pattern, blast it), more laundry, and I finally let myself cast on a sleeve for the peacock pullover:


I figured I'd earned it. I can't believe that I'm actually counting a sleeve as a reward (if you don't know of my hatred for knitting sleeves... lucky you). But this silk is amazing. I think that I've finally found the material it takes to make me want to to knit a sleeve. Or, at least, I have found that for me to want to knit a sleeve, I have to want to work with the material in any way, shape, or form.

Silk is yummy. Especially when it's cobalt.

Let's see, Dad and I rented Children of Men. Typically, Emm walked in after the first 15 mins (so we got to restart it). Thus, I made them pay very close attention to those first 10 minutes or so, since they set up the movie brilliantly. I have to say that I love the movie even more after a second viewing. The relationships are just wonderful, the story is moving (however impossible or contrived) and the acting is flawless. Both my father and brother were a little teary at the end, something I found interesting (alright, I was misty, too, and I'd seen it it before). Dad and I concured, Rolling Stone Magazine got it right, it is the modern Blade Runner.

So, that's it. Progress has been made (I challenge anyone to call 4 loads of laundry anything else), and TheBon's coming over tomorrow to dye napkins for her wedding. I need to check my email, spin for Miss Violacious (I finally found the right fiber!), and then go to bed. Shavuah Tov.

Labels: ,


Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: