Tuesday, May 15, 2007

good news, bad news

While I still haven't heard from the Peace Corps on anything like my placement (sigh) or the level of my medical clearance ('nother sigh), I DO have other good Peace Corps related news. One, I received a package from the Corps today containing a book (for me) and two booklets (for my family) on what to expect during my service.

Two, well, this is gonna take longer to explain. At the Peace Corps Nominee Potluck, the subject of my spinning wheel came up. I wanted to know if it'd be possible for me to take it with me. The RPCV/ former staffer (returned Peace Corps volunteer/ she worked at the head office in D.C. after her tour) told me that she'd never heard of such a thing, but that some volunteers had taken over things like musical instruments or furniture. Dad then piped up and said, "why don't we just get you one of those spinning wheels in a box?"

I stared at him (so did everyone else, out of confusion) and finally said, "They're very expensive, Dad."

"Well, if you're going into the Peace Corps for 2 - 3 years, I think we can swing it somehow." (truth is, I think Dad wants me to get one of these just because they're so darn cool)

Oh. I filed this welcome nugget away for later investigation. On Saturday night I visited the Journey Wheel website and, after getting very excited over the possibility of taking one to Africa with me, I noticed this:
Journey Wheels: Our Fall 2007 group is now full.
The next open spot is in Winter 2008;
5 available.
Please specify Single or Double Treadle.
cried, "no!" and immediately emailed Sheila. She told me that the note was indeed true, but because of my unique situation we might work something out. After exchanging emails for a couple of days, I received the happiest news there was. Not only was there a Fall spot open due to a recent cancellation, but a spinner in the Summer group had given me her spot in favor of the Fall one. In light of this kindness, I could have a Journey wheel by mid-July.

Fiber artists are truly some of the most generous people in the world.

This news was more than enough to make me ecstatic for the rest of the day. I immediately realised that, while my parents are very generous, there was no way they could afford the total price. So, to make this possible, I'm selling my Lendrum. It's difficult to come to terms with, but it needs to be done. And, really, my parents shouldn't have to store Lennie (and all the accoutrement I've collected for him) for the next 2- 3 years.

I love my Lendrum (we all know this), but I have to be reasonable. The Journey wheel is the best idea there is (thank you, Dad) and I'll definitely be able to use it wherever I'm placed. There's the 'bad' news. Well, not really bad. Just slightly sad. But, I'm relieved in the fact that St M says she can meet my asking price, so at least I know that Lennie will be going to a good home.

St M says I should take this all as a positive sign. Mum and Dad agree. There's something, I guess.

In other news, St M and I spent the afternoon and evening together. At dinner, we noticed the COOLEST chair on the face of the PLANET:

Gandhi spinning on his charkha! How unbelievably spiffy is that?

It must be admitted that I tactically considered what it would have taken to sneak it out. After deciding that not even St M could create that great a distraction, the plan was dropped. But we got dinner anyway. After dinner was Monday Night Knitting. And who did we sit with? Jodie, the organizer of the Charity Blanket Swap. I even got her and C to pose with the blanket WIP:


Which ALSO means that I have fulfilled my obligation to photograph the blanket in my hometown. Coolies. I'm sending it out tomorrow. Watch out, Penny! It's coming for you next ^_^

And, wow, my inbox is overflowing. Someone help me, please.

Labels: ,


Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: