Tuesday, December 12, 2006

pity the Spartans

For Satan finds some mischief still,
For idle hands to do
Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
It started with Clash of the Titans. Then Gladiator (which, admittedly, wasn't too bad). Then Troy. Alexander. And, now?

The worst yet: 300. I DARE you to watch the preview.

As a Classicist I both cringed and shrieked with laughter. While I'll admit Elephants were used in battle by many of the ancient African and Asiatic countries, I've never run across a reference to Battle Rhynoceroi. If you do find one (in Greek, Latin, Aramaic/Hebrew, French, Spanish or Italian), please let me know. Hell, if you find it in Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, I've got a dictionary and grammar book somewhere around here... And I know someone who speaks Sanskrit, too.

Anyway.

Not much progress has been made today on my knits or handspinning. I've fallen prey to the reading bug, finally. For the past year I have dispaired that I might have actually lost my love of the written word. I did love everything I learned in Uni, and I value all my various references - but I've been battling a reading lethargy for some time. Certain books, usually ones I'd read more than once, I would pick up and randomly read for a chapter or two. But, that seemed to be the limit of my interest for a while.

Well, that changed today.

I actually found a copy of No Idle Hands: A Social History of American Knittingat the EPL today and literally snatched it up. I'm to page a hundred-and-something and am still completely fascinated (something that hasn't happened in a while, alas). The various historical references to Martha Washington (and other Generals' wives) knitting for the Revolutionary Army were fantastic.

Once I finish it, I'm going to try and read my A History of Homespun again (I've used it as a reference more times than I can count, but have never read it all). I also need to finish the second half of A History of Handknitting (technically I've read it all, just not for pleasure - which means it just doesn't count in my weird little world).

But, to make up for this lack of knitting progress or pretty pictures of lovely yarns and fleeces, I come bearing another baby picture. Couldn't you just plotz? (see how I work in new Yiddish vocabularly?). Here's my sister and her daughter, baby T:


Seriously. Plotz. It's good for you ;D

A parting note - I did make some progress on the Wacky Ducky contest prizes today - I found the perfect yarn for Crimson. I'm gonna try and ship all the prizes out by the end of the week. Scout's honour. I also promised someone(?) (remind me if you know who) that I'd set up an actual Wacky Ducky Contest page somewhere. Likely wordpress. Which, uh, I need to finish transferring to.

Maybe I should write it on the back of my hand...

Labels:


Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: