Wednesday, October 11, 2006

ramblings

“When words are scarce they are seldom spent in vain”
~ William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
I haven't been making much sense lately. Nor have I been writing lengthy posts. I'm amazed anyone reads this stuff, sometimes. But, then, I amaze myself when I manage to get out of bed some mornings... or afternoons.

I think I'm going to have to take another break from the news, soon. I'm reaching that point where any and all news depresses me and makes me even more lethargic. Every so often, I just need to take a vacation from it (and reality in general), whether it be for a week or a month or even longer. I think I once went six months without reading a newspaper or watching CNN, simply because it was all too depressing for me.

Anyway. I'm onto my 5th damask repeat on the 3rd pair of Socktoberfest socks. Once I finish this repeat, I'll start the heel flaps. I'm a stout heel-flapper.

D's gansey/ vest/ thingy is officially a Knitting Blackhole. Now matter how much time I spend knitting it, the armholes ALWAYS measure 6 inches. Honest to g-d. I had my Mum check. I don't know what's going on there. Cuz, I know I spent over an hour on the bloody thing last night. I'm beginning to think I should just give up on this yarn, and buy some that's commercial (and save myself the bother, honestly). If the handspun doesn't start behaving, it's going back in the bin.

The SKB is doing well. I have two more rows before I start the "purl ridges" that make up the hem on the body. Then, all I'll have to do is the sleeves (woohoo!). Can you tell I'm looking forward to finishing this one?

I'm beginning to doubt that I'll make another SKB (at least right now), and I'm seriously considering Emmos' advice to design my own sweater. Just need to figure out some logistics. And, all that. I also have to knit up some other sweaters (well, the yarn is just sitting there). So, designing will commence shortly.

Tonight I went to Homework Club with Emmos. I think I might have helped a couple of kids. Ohwell. Emmos and I went hunting for swap items for her Owl Swap. Twas fun. At Walmart, they had some nice, serviceable cotton yarn on sale (or something) so I grabbed some for more washcloths, etc. Washcloths are my relaxing knit nowadays. I'm also thinking of crocheting a bathmat. We'll see. The balls of yarn are 400 grams (14 oz) and cost just under $6, so... yeah, bathmat wouldn't be bad. I'm not sure I'm up to that level of creative intelligence right now, but we'll see, eh?

I need to finish these bloody socks, so I can make that tutorial for Socktoberfest.



Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: