Tuesday, July 11, 2006

maintaining goodwill

A previously favourite author once wrote that if short people could vote the word "cute" from the dictionary and everyday use, they would. Some days, I agree. I also have to apply that same general attitude/wish to stop the patronizing of older knitters. Notice I do not say "more experienced" knitters. I have been knitting for longer than many of the older knitters in town, yet I get called (oh, yes) a "baby knitter".

Wow, the chutzpah.

Have you seen my sox? My lace? Anything I've made? I teach knitting workshops. I don't take them.

Anyway, (deep breath), I just wanted to get that out.

I was fingerprinted today, for my Peace Corps application. Alas, they've gone digital, so I don't even have the ink-stained hands to prove it ;)

Whilst running errands today, I dragged my father to the new Goodwill building. And, mwahaha, I scored 8 sets of retro and vintage knitting needles:


Some of which are, OMG, bakelite I do believe.

And they came to a grand total of $3.49. Score! I'm using one of the DPN sets for a little swap item. The white yarn is my handspun alpaca/ recycled silk. Yummies. The rest? Who knows?

I also bought a ball of yarn at Jo-Ann's, it was ON CLEARANCE and I have a plan so it's forgivable. I had to go to the devil store (seriously, I can't get out of there w/o spending money) to find certain items for a swap. That's all I shall say for now. Said certain items were hell to find, btw. I get double brownie points for these, I think.

And, oh yes, the SOX ARE DONE!! Finished, completed, and they look fab to me. All the little ends are woven in. I even tried them on my feet (my partner's feet are the same size) and they fit perfectly. Fantabulous.

I am forcing myself to pull away from sox and my Tempting and alpaca shrug for a while in order to spin that bloody yarn and finish up my swap packages. Then, Lord help me, I swear myself off of swaps for a while - I do! I want to craft for myself and my family for a while. Just a bit. I'll be lured in again, soon enough.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: