Monday, April 03, 2006

truly a small world, after all

Because if it were mixed with iocaine powder we'd all be dead.

Did you know that there's a new fiber podcast coming out of Eugene? I heard about it on the latest Cast-On episode. Irie Knits is the podcast blog, and IrieWoman's Fascinating Life is her personal blog. Small world, ain't it?

--
Posted by Crimson to the quacking fiber addict at 4/03/2006 12:27:50 PM


Wow! I didn't know that. (prolly because I'm, like, 5 episodes behind on Cast On... but, they're on my iPod, I just need to schedule time to listen to them) Now, I have to totally subscribe and start bothering her ;)

OMG, how many knit podcasts ARE there????

What you don't know Crimson, is that I've spent the last 5 years building up a tolerance to iocane powder.

Anyway, I just got out of my first Costume Construction class and ... wow! We get to learn all sorts of stuff, make a garment for the theatre's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream (midterm project), and then make a garment for ourselves that "we couldn't have made before this class" (for the final). We're also going to cover millinery and specialty tailoring. So cool. One of the suggested final projects is a corset, which I am seriously considering. I had planned to make a historically accurate costume, but having a fitted corset would just rock. Tho, thoughts of a full Italian Renaissance gown call to me, too. As do more practical projects - like a recreation of a chlamydon or something else Classical. The most exciting part of the class is it's focus on recreating period clothing.

Too many possibilities. I am also taking suggestions, Classical or otherwise.

I'm still really attached to making a recreation of this:
I mean, I have absolutely no idea as to how to approach it as a finished outfit. Is the gown sewn closed from the waist down? What are those sleeve ties for? And, how the heck does one make an apron like that??? Is it all piece-work, painted on, embroidery? Scholars for years have said that embroidery was invented after the Classical period, but I'm beginning to doubt this. The Victoria & Albert Museum in London claims to have a piece of Attic embroidery from before the turn of the Common Era. I also distinctly remember several Egyptian pieces as the British Museum that had some fine stitchery (for the time, using bone/ wood needles). Tho, I admit, it would make more sense if the patterns on the apron were woven in or painted on (think African mud-cloth). Or, another thought, it could be tanned and dyed leather. Bugger, too many options.

Okay, I think I may have just talked myself into it, now all I have to do is convince Sandy and Vikki that it's something I probably couldn't do on my own. Tho, I'll admit, I doubt I'll use much of the lessons from class on it. Hmph.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: