Thursday, January 12, 2006

New computer

Next to me is a (practically) new computer. My Dad decided to purchase a new motherboard and processor for my computer, since I had determined that my old motherboard was dying. By the way, I had purchased that motherboard a little over a year ago to replace another board that lasted about 3 years. Anyhow, this setup is nice, it's got a 64-bit chip, which is relatively new for personal computers (not new for nice industrial Unix machines), and will soon have a boost in memory. Soon it'll be very much like new, aside from my hard drives.

As this is my linux machine, I'm in the process of compiling my kernel. What this means is I'm trying to trim out drivers for all the stuff my computer doesn't have, so that it runs faster and boots faster. So far I've got the booting faster bit down very well, but I have a few little adjustments to make.

Aside from that, Vonnie has suggested I rename it to Phoenix, since it has "risen from the ashes". Problem is, I'm partial to Dragon... I'll have to think about it.

Click
& Quack
Recent Posts
  • Subscribe with Bloglines
  • Knit-A-Longs:
    • blogroll:
      random pix
      • www.flickr.com
        This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from fyberduck. Make your own badge here.
    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

    I'm a recent graduate of the University of Oregon, a Peace Corps nominee, and trying to knit, spin, and craft up my stash before I get sent off to a foreign country for 2 years.

    Comments:
    some 'props to: